The Summer Solstice, traditionally known as Midsummer or Litha, marks the longest day of the year as the Sun slips into Cancer - a time to celebrate the great abundance and aliveness of Mother Earth as she provides for all our physical needs. Though Cancer is the sign of home and clan, memories, and profound emotional communion, the vibration at the Summer Solstice itself is solar and expansive, with a palpable magnetic sensual and creative charge in the air.
Midsummer is naturally associated with the energies of the full moon - alive, awake, fully aware. All is full and clear and blossoming into our conscious awareness, and the potency of our collective vitality has reached a peak for the cycle of the year. The full moon's coinciding with this Summer Solstice - an event that hasn't happened in 70 years - will bring an exponentially more powerful vibe as the peak of this month's lunar cycle is reached simultaneously.
Midsummer at the Sagittarius Full Moon: Great Adventures and a Final Call to Freedom
The Gemini Sun and Sagittarius Moon meet up for the Full Moon at 7:02 AM EDT, prior to the Sun moving into Cancer at the official Solstice time of 6:34 PM EDT. This is an especially intense full moon not only because of the solstice timing, but because it reactivates the Mutable Grand Cross that was in action at the Gemini New Moon on June 4. In short, this means more potential confusion and changing circumstances; we'll do well to stay as alert and flexible as possible.
Even though there are sure to be challenges with this full moon with the mutable energy shifting beneath our feet, this is the perfect full moon for a Midsummer adventure! Sagittarius is the sign of setting off on quests to be enlivened and enriched by way of new and edifying experiences. Outdoor explorations, camping adventures, and communing with nature and the Fairy realms in any way is even more supported at this Summer Solstice than most! Saggies love to get their hands dirty and explore the natural world, and lunation will have many of us feeling pulled toward soaking up the goodness of the natural world.
The Sagittarius Full Moon also speaks of pivotal turning points in the story of our freedoms and expressing our truths, since it occurs at the very last degree of Sagittarius, and is the second Sagittarius Full Moon in a row (a "Blue Moon" in terms of folklore). It could be the birthing point for a final culmination in relation to the points of life described below, if not *the* point of culmination itself.
Sun (Gemini) conjunct Venus (Cancer) opposite Sagittarius Moon
- This full moon is very much relationship-centered, with the need for all forms of interaction to bond, sort, or otherwise engage in meaningful experiences with "other". An intimate yet social combination, this is a great time for getting out of your comfort zone to have new experiences or explore new activities/points of view with your tribe.
- The last moments of the Sun in busy Gemini paired up with heart-centered Venus in Cancer speaks of the need to indulge in what sparks your curiosity, perhaps in ways that act to strengthen bonds between you and those closest to your heart. This could also bring about situations in which we find ourselves letting new people into our innermost circle - perhaps even connecting with new soul family members - and will most likely entail some kind of experiences that move us into new terrain.
- Be willing to approach partners with a heart wide open - not necessarily leaving yourself laid bare for pain or manipulation, but to allow for a flow of love and sincerity that can only steer you in the right direction. This could be a great weekend for you and a lover to explore a new place together, indulging in the bits of culture or activities that pique your interest. And if you can't leave town, anything outdoorsy or foreign will do (romantic foreign film night in, anyone?). We may find ourselves seeking freedom from another, or contemplating how we can be free from restricting aspects of a relationship (to family, lover, or others). How can you balance security with freedom in your life?
- Any planet in Cancer is strongly connected to the energies of what we might call Goddess or Mother God; hence, this is a fantastic time to honor the Divine Feminine, connect with the Divine Feminine within yourself, or gather in your Goddess circles to celebrate!
- Possible delays or setbacks in plans, communication mix-ups and misunderstandings; a "make or break" time in agreements or social ties perhaps due to differing points of view, with culminating moments in romantic relationships also on the docket. Be mindful of whether what you're being told adds up as truth with your instincts.
- We might find ourselves rehashing past themes related to our beliefs, covering old ground for the sake of reconnection, or reaching moments in any relationship where we're called to face facts rather than cling to illusions. Be open to seeing things for what they are, for finding fresh ways of looking at any situation that calls to your attention.
- Be honest and speak what's on your mind - Sagittarius is a sign associated with truth, and that means we'll do well to be authentic with ourselves and others.
- The need to take a new course of action, most likely based on information we've received re: intimate relationships, financial or other entanglements, the facing of fears/paranoia/trauma for healing. This intensifies the relationship focus, calling us to boldly and honestly address issues with our ultimate desires for liberation in mind. Be mindful of giving out or receiving unpredictable, cold, or questionable behaviors. What is keeping you from being *~free~* in mind, body, or spirit? A good time to strongly consider cutting toxic ties - this Sagittarius "Freedom Moon" has your back!
- A hugely beneficial aspect! With Jupiter ruling this Full Moon conjunct the North Node (destiny!), we can expect anything that transpires now - regardless of how it appears on the surface level - to carry us forward into much greater abundance and bliss.
- Pluto's trine promises that if we're willing to dig deeply and root into our Divine Empowerment while making the most of opportunities that come along, the smaller details of life really will take care of themselves. Get into your Root Chakra; feel the earth beneath you; know your own strength and follow through.
What will you be celebrating at this most incredible time of year? Are you ready to release everything that stands between you and the freedom that is your birthright? *~Listen to the call of your Wild Heart and you can't go wrong!~*
© Jen Howell, Bright Star Astrology & Healing Arts, 2016. Unauthorized use or duplication of this material without express and written permission from the author/owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to this writer with appropriate and specific direction to the document containing the original content.