The Solar Eclipse at 8° Pisces is this winter’s second and final eclipse, occurring on February 26 at 10:59 AM EST. This event is classified as an annular (partial) solar eclipse, which will create a ring of light around the darkened moon. The eclipse will be visible from the southernmost parts of South America and southwest Africa.
Astrologically, we’re in for a deeply emotional time with this eclipse—one filled to the brim with power, passion, and the possibility for embodying the bravery, compassion, and trust necessary to navigate a challenging road ahead.
If you were born between February 23–27, or with the Rising Sign/Midheaven/Nadir, planets, or the Nodes from 6°–10° of Pisces, expect a pivotal year that kicks off a new 18-year period in your life. Those with other planets/key points in the birth chart from the same degrees of any mutable sign (Virgo, Sagittarius, Gemini) will be impacted as well.
The Skinny on Eclipses—a Quick 101
Eclipses can be thought of as new and full moons on steroids—the same basic principles of those phases of the Solar-Lunar Cycle apply, but are intensified to the point that the very fabric of time itself seems to meld and shift as we experience pivotal events personally and collectively. The days before and after eclipses usually bring life-altering news to those most impacted by them, providing us with information that we may not want to face. Of course, the same goes for joyful events, or for experiences seemingly designed to awaken to truths and new realizations at an accelerated pace.
Eclipses as intense periods of “Cosmic Upgrading.” Depending on how intensely we’re impacted by them personally, the normal flow of daily events can come to a halt while we address what’s come to light.
Regardless of whether an eclipse touches a sensitive point in the personal birth chart or not, we are all provided with opportunities for tuning into new frequencies and receiving key messages/moving into powerful new periods of life during eclipses.
Solar eclipses are associated with new beginnings, perhaps as a result of events that occur around us as pieces shift in the physical world, as opposed to intense feelings and interpersonal themes that emerge during lunar eclipses. It is often said that lunar eclipses present the greatest difficulties to face and address. However, February’s solar eclipse is set to be the more challenging eclipse this winter: grief, feelings of helplessness, and loss meet anger, uprising, and ultimately, the capacity to take courageous action to shift out of detrimental patterns into a more blissful life experience.
This is a potent eclipse, especially given the current national and global issues swirling about us in a sea of chaos. We have a strong combination of water and fire energies, thanks to a prominence of planets in PISCES and ARIES. This will create a great deal of passion—and passionate exchange—in relationships of all kinds, especially where concepts of freedom are concerned. This eclipse certainly plugs directly into the current sociopolitical climate in the United States, and will likely heighten discord…but also open channels for love and forgiveness in monumental ways. We’d do well to prepare ourselves for this eclipse, as personal and collective events could become quite turbulent as we make our way toward those pivotal points of forgiveness that are possible as we shift from fear and ego-entrapment to Love.
Pisces is a sign of release, transcendence, and great compassion, but it’s also a realm of the Zodiac that brings profound challenges related to endings before rebirth: struggles with addiction, loss/suffering, delusional perceptions, feelings of helplessness, “Victim”/”Savior” consciousness and patterns. With a stellium of planets in Pisces (a grouping of 3 or more planets grouped together) playing an important role in this eclipse, themes of loss, pain, and sacrifice could be prominent. The Sun and Moon are conjunct NEPTUNE, the dreamy/otherworldly ruling planet of Pisces, making wishful thinking, lofty goals, and/or disillusionment key themes.
MERCURY, the planet of The Mind, Communication, Travel, and Siblings, will be conjunct the SOUTH NODE in Pisces. We enter into a period where things may seem especially unclear, and concise communication may be hard to come by.
Possible manifestations of MERCURY conjunct the South Node in Pisces include:
- A collective point of shedding delusional thinking, dishonest communication (not at all limited to “brainwashing” or whitewashing of facts in favor of a fantasy picture—seeing what we want to see, or deluding people into believing what we believe despite factual evidence), and unsavory patterns in the dissemination of information.
- One could think of MERCURY as representing journalists, teachers, and other in the communication and intelligence professions; NEPTUNE is a planet that astrologers associate with the media in general; Pisces is a sign of illusions, scapegoats, suffering, and ultimately, transcendence. It’s not at all surprising, then, to see this aspect occurring during an eclipse at a time when American journalists are being vilified by government officials. The current administration’s pandering of “alternative facts,” and true or false accusations of “fake news” from any side of the political aisle, are front and center in the United States.
- A washing away of old paradigms and perceptions—a complete cleansing of the lens through which we see the world as individuals and a global family—is ours if we choose to align with clear-seeing. Seeing through the eyes of compassion, searching for creative, love-inspired solutions, and using strategic planning skills to create better circumstances are keys to navigating these challenges successfully. Networking for LOVE and healing is the greatest possibility this aspect offers us.
- Because clarity in thought, communication, and issues with discerning reality from fantasy could be difficult, intuition is one of our greatest allies. Get creative, embrace love, and move forward on what feels right (and adds up in a sensible way “on paper”).
- These events will transpire to create a collective watershed, perhaps of heightened contrast, that propel us in the direction of VIRGO NORTH NODE themes: scrupulous analysis and dissemination of facts, using our capacity to organize data in a manner consistent with integrity, taking pragmatic action as we’re able as opposed to staying in “victim” consciousness.
The fiery side of this eclipse, then, are the three planets currently in Aries. As VENUS passes through this sign, our expression in relationship takes on a brash nature: say what you mean, mean what you say, and out with you if you don’t (or infinitely more colorful language as you please). We’re likely to be more impulsive and thrill-seeking in our interactions—not to mention far more confrontational—and some could wind up with a literal or metaphorical scrape or three to show for it. The good news? Passions will run high, and the fires of determination will be burning in our bellies to pursue our desires with gusto.
But the most striking Aries activity happening at this eclipse is the conjunction of MARS/URANUS, happening opposite JUPITER In Libra. This is a zero-tolerance aspect that will bring out the freedom fighters, the seekers of truth, justice, and liberation, in full force…and there’s sure to be some volatile uprisings. Jupiter in Libra asks that we move in the direction of fairness and equality, but with the God of War and The Great Awakener pulling the rope across from it, the desire for equity is overblown and could easily reach a boiling point.
Though the intense Pisces/Aries themes at this eclipse will no doubt create intense personal/transpersonal turbulence, the opportunities for growth are enormous. Some of the most positive possibilities are:
- Getting into the vibration of courage to stand up for those who are bullied, and/or those most in need
- Having profound opportunities to approach tough interactions re: social and political themes while learning how to blend conviction with compassion; bold speaking with clear listening; making steps toward embodying Heaven on Earth through radical acts of love, even across seemingly impossible divides of lifestyle and opinions
- Channeling a no-nonsense approach to achieving the next level of freedom in our lives
- Having opportunities to recognize where we are living out Victim/Savior patterns that keep us living happier lives, and having a chance to blaze a trail to freedom
- Finding the courage and fortitude to heal whatever is most in need of healing within our lives
Because this is a solar eclipse, it will set the tone for a whole new era based on these themes—an 18-year period in which we’ll be learning how to release delusions and codependency in favor of clear-seeing/thinking and personal productivity; shedding behaviors that cause self and others to suffer; of following our individual paths passionately, while learning how to respect others’ Divine Sovereignty to do the same.
North Node in Virgo: Bringing Balance Through Discernment and Pragmatic Actions
We’ll do well to remember that the VIRGO NORTH NODE is all about doing what you can, where you are, with what you have, one pragmatic move at a time. If you feel overwhelmed at this eclipse, allow yourself the time to process what’s coming to light on every level; cry the tears; be extra gentle with those who need love and support. If you stick with whatever your most sensible next step toward restoring purity, order, and wellness is in any given moment, you’re on the right track.
- Am I living out a cycle of suffering, poverty, or codependency that robs me of my joy? Am I giving to others from an empty cup? Am I allowing others to take advantage of my resources in ways that drain my vitality (Love, kindness, money, time, patience, etc.)?
- Do I exercise discernment on every level while making important decisions—intellectually, emotionally, spiritually—or do I take others’ word at face-value without “checking in”? Am I clinging to deeply-held dogma that prevents me from clearly seeing “what is,” or from entertaining a new and possibly correct point of view?
- Do I live out patterns of impulsivity that lead to disappointments and suffering, whether it’s through relationship disappointments, loss of resources, and so on?
- Do I act from a place of anger and judgment more regularly than from a place of love, compassion, and intuitive knowing?
- Where do I feel most called to break cycles of disillusionment, loss, addiction, codependency, or Victim/Savior patterns in my life? Am I willing to take steps toward transcending these issues with the help of those who can inspire and motivate me to keep moving forward with my healing?
- Am I ready and willing to stand up for those being treated unfairly? Am I willing to tap into a sense of courage to speak truths, take right actions toward justice, and claim my Divine right to empowerment on behalf of myself and of others?
- Am I willing to speak passionately, truthfully/articulately, yet diplomatically and compassionately, with those I encounter who hold different views? Am I willing to look beyond the veil of illusions to see the Oneness in all beings?
- Am I willing to hold space for those who carry beliefs I do not agree with, or for those who commit atrocities, remembering that when I do, I assist in the creation of an energetic “world climate” in which healing for the greater good can unfold (note: this is not the same as approving of actions we feel are immoral—it is simply the act of seeing beings as Soul first, and moving into a place of recognition, perhaps that they are also moving toward unlocking their own awareness and capacity for Love and Compassion on their Soul’s own timeline. When we come back to this point of awareness, we free ourselves from excess consternation, and add our “energetic pennies” to the pot of the world we want to create instead—one of Love, Light, Joy, and Freedom for all beings)
The Silver Lining
Though this eclipse will undeniably bring challenges, it belongs to the Saros Series 19 South family of eclipses. In her book Predictive Astrology, eclipse expert Bernadette Brady gives the overarching tone of this eclipse series:
“This is a family of eclipses that brings with it the element of the pleasant surprise. Sudden happiness, a joyful event, the lucky break, the big win. The events which will be occurring can be believed and can positively change the person’s life.”
No matter how this eclipse’s energies manifest in the collective, we might be able to find some hope in this assessment. We could interpret this as reassurance that no matter what transpires, it’s all for the greater good in the end. And at the end of the day, this is the role that eclipses play—to move us forward so we can experience greater joy, personal sovereignty, and fulfillment. Trust what unfolds, follow your intuition, and lead with love and passion.
© Jen Howell, Bright Star Astrology & Healing Arts, 2017. Unauthorized use or duplication of this material without express and written permission from the author/owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to this writer with appropriate and specific direction to the document containing the original content.